There is nothing like a cool summer salad to help beat the heat of the day. Summer lunches and dinners are meant to be light and luscious. Salads help to cool and refresh. They also help to replenish nutrients that our bodies naturally lose in the heat of the sun. We are always looking for salads that offer different textures and ingredients to add a level of excitement to the dish.
Sheep meat salads fit the bill in both succulent meat, crisp clean veggies and a dressing to savour. The sheep salad we have chosen to highlight in this article combines the two best flavours of summer- salad and the braai. It is a colourful celebration of summer combining spicy and subtle flavours, heat and chilled components to create the perfect dish for the season.
GRILLED SHEEP SALAD (Serves 4)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DRESSING:
- 4 tbs. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. dried mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- feta cheese crumbled
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SALAD:
- 500 grams of sheep meat or one large piece of the leg
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 carrot, grated or chopped thin
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- ½ cup fresh basil shredded
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 6-8 baby tomatoes sliced in two.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill.
- Mix the oil, 1 teaspoon of cumin, salt and pepper. Use this mixture as a rub for the sheep meat. Rub onto the sheep and let sit at room temperature for 8-10 minutes to allow it to infuse into the meat.
- While your meat is sitting, take a mixing bowl and combine the dressing. Mix together vinegar, cumin, mustard and honey. Mix well. Add in ¼ cup olive oil. Add salt and pepper to your taste preference. Set aside to use later.
- Set the braai’s heat to a medium flame and grill the sheep meat. You want it to be a little charred and medium-rare. This will take about 12 minutes of cooking time, turning it a few times on either side. Once the meat is done, move it to a carving board and let it rest for about 5 minutes. This is an important step to allow the cooked meat to settle and to cool slightly before you set it on your lettuce.
- Now let’s mix the salad. In a large bowl begin to layer first the romaine, then the chopped onion, carrot, cucumber, tomatoe, and basil. Pour the dressing over the top and toss well with salad tongs to thoroughly combine the vegetables and bring out the full spectrum of colours and textures.
- Slice the sheep meat into thin slices. The size of each piece depends on your desired preference.
- Using clean tongs or salad forks, put a large amount of salad onto a plate and top with a serving of the sheep meat.
- Garnish your salad with your favourite herbs and feta cheese and enjoy!
This salad is luscious served with crusty bread with a herb butter topping. Grill the bread for a few seconds on each side to give it a lovely crunchy texture. Then spread on a butter of your choice. Serve a lovely red or white wine on the side. The type of wine is wide open as sheep meat goes with nearly any type of wine choice.
Fun in the setting sun with good friends and great food is what summer downtime is all about. Making memories with an excellent recipe. Relaxing over a delicious and refreshing dinner after a long hot day.
These are the moments that make life worth living. These are the moment that you shine as a great chef and host with a super easy recipe that takes no time at all to make yet will be raved about long into the future.