This is a beautiful twist on the traditional roast. Mutton is fabulous when simmered in beer or dark ale.
Serve with potatoes of your choice and vegetables on the side, or with any other favourite holiday recipes.The alcohol content cooks out so this mutton is safe for the kids to eat and the meat is perfectly seasoned for any side dish you wish to pair it with.
This dish is perfect for a cosy supper on a festive night or any night of the year!
Festive Beer Mutton Recipe
- 900g of the leg of mutton- deboned and trimmed of fat
- 575ml dark ale
- 2 onions- chopped fine
- 2 cloves of garlic- finely chopped
- 25g butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Allow the mutton to get to room temperature then cut it into thin slices against the grain.
- Place the mutton slices in a heavy pan.
- Sprinkle all over with the onions.
- Pour ale over the top and saturate.
- Bring it all to a boil over medium heat.
- After coming to a boil, cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for one hour.
- After the hour, add the butter and salt and pepper as needed.
- Simmer for another 20-30 minutes or until it has reached your desired tenderness.
Serve with potatoes of your choice and vegetables on the side, or with any other favourite holiday recipes.